[pm-h] mod_perl2, plack, dancer
Julian Brown
2017-06-01 16:00:27 UTC
Per my previous mail, I will prepare for J.D.'s challenge.

But I would like to have a discussion on the reasons one would pick dancer
or some plack layer over mod_perl2.

We could later even do some benchmarking, but we have to get a suite of
tasks to benchmark.

Julian
Mark Allen
2017-06-02 03:55:09 UTC
Because it's not 2004 anymore?
Seriously, it couldn't be easier to write a nice web layer using Mojolicious::Lite (yeah I was a Dancer guy back in the day but I'm all Mojo these days not that I'm writing a bunch of Perl for $dayjob.)
All you need to do is `cpanm Mojolicious` and start implementing route handlers. It even will handle turning your hashes into JSON automagically.
I will be out of the country for the June meeting, but it would be fun to do a presentation about Mojo for July if people are interested in that.
Cheers,
Mark

On Thursday, June 1, 2017 11:02 AM, Julian Brown <***@gmail.com> wrote:

Per my previous mail, I will prepare for J.D.'s challenge.
But I would like to have a discussion on the reasons one would pick dancer or some plack layer over mod_perl2.
We could later even do some benchmarking, but we have to get a suite of tasks to benchmark.
Julian_______________________________________________
Houston mailing list
***@pm.org
Website: http://houston.pm.org/
Julian Brown
2017-06-02 13:02:26 UTC
Thanx for the reply Mark.

Just because it is old, does not make it correct.

In mod_perl2, I write a series of verbs that take values and do things all
compiled into Apache, what is faster?

I will stipulate the easy aspects of Mojo.

Julian
Robert Stone
2017-06-02 13:53:48 UTC
Greetings,

My only qualm with Mojolicious is the short deprecation cycle and how often
you have to update your code to work with the latest and greatest (or lock
on an older version). However, I do *love* their testing framework so
that's a major plus.

Nowadays I use Dancer for just about everything and I've been quite happy
with it. For pure API applications I tend to daemonize with lighttpd, for
website type things I generally use Apache. I admit there is a certain
performance hit for not using a reverse proxy to starman (or related) but
the ease of management has outweighed any of those concerns for me.

My WebSocket library uses AnyEvent and all of the related modules
(AnyEvent::Handle etc) and I demonize that directly without something like
Apache/Plack/Starman/etc.

I think the real answer is that "It depends on what you are doing." If you
are building a full website and you need a templating engine something like
Dancer/Mojo tend to be the best choices.

I'm always happy to discuss these sorts of things though and I could share
the testing library I created for Dancer that makes it easy to test apps
similar to how Test::Mojo works. It lets you use the Test::WWW::Mechanize
library against Dancer apps and has always worked nicely for me.

Best Regards,
Robert Stone
Julian Brown

Fraser Baker
2017-06-02 18:11:17 UTC
I use mod_perl in my app and will attend a discussion about this module.

Fraser

Julian Brown
2017-06-02 20:48:18 UTC
How about for July, everyone bring a short discussion on there fave web
platform any aspect such as mod perl mojo dancer even lightspeed nginx
whatever.

Julian

Mark Allen
2017-06-02 21:54:53 UTC
I think tightly coupling your web application to a particular deployment of a web server is a bad architecture for tons of reasons including security, scalability, testing, deployment and configuration.
I will take hypnotoad[1] running behind nginx over any sort of mod_* anything 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.
[1]: https://metacpan.org/pod/Mojo::Server::Hypnotoad
For a July meeting are you thinking "lightning style talks" or something more in depth?

------ Original Message ------From: "Julian Brown" <***@gmail.com>To: "Houston.pm located in Houston, TX." <***@pm.org>Sent: 6/2/2017 10:31:16 AMSubject: Re: [pm-h] mod_perl2, plack, dancer

http://mail.pm.org/mailman/lis tinfo/houston
Website: http://houston.pm.org/

Julian Brown